Supreme Court arguments this week
The Supreme Court hears another 6 cases this week. The quick rundown follows, with the usual link to our complete analysis of each case.
Monday, March 2
- Atlantic Sounding Co., Inc. v. Townsend, Edgar L. (maritime law, Jones Act, punitive damages, workers compensation)
- District Attorney’s Office, et. al. v. Osborne, William G. (post-conviction, due process, Sec. 1983, DNA testing, freestanding claim of innocence, discovery, substantive claim, materiality, habeas petition, exculpatory evidence)
Tuesday, March 3
- Arthur Andersen LLP, et. al. v. Carlisle, Wayne, et. al. (Federal Arbitration Act, stay of trial, non-party, non-signatory, arbitration clause, agreement to arbitrate, appeal, appellate jurisdiction)
- Caperton, Hugh M., et. al. v. A.T. Massey Coal Co., et. al. (Fourteenth Amendment, recusal, appearance of bias, judicial elections)
Wednesday, March 4
- Abuelhaswa, Salman K. v. United States (drug felony, misdemeanor, facilitate, cellular phone)
- Dean, Christopher M. v. United States (criminal law, mens rea, sentence enhancement, mandatory minimum, firearm)
Don’t forget — you can get your very own free subscription to the LII Supreme Court Bulletin will get you a summary of all Supreme Court cases delivered directly to your inbox 2 weeks before the scheduled argument.